Sunday 24 April 2011

Easter Sunday

It has been both sobering and challenging to count my blessings during Lent 2011. Giving up chocolate too has shown me that it is possible to live differently...we just need to try. As someone whose job is so focussed on the local (albeit countywide local) it is amazing how worldwide this blog has become, and it is by widening our horizons that we enter more fully into the height, breadth and depth of God.

The challenge now for me is what I take of these 40 days into my day to day living. I will certainly try and recycle more, will turn the thermostat down a notch and think about what resources I squander or take for granted. I already have some thoughts for next year about fasting from emails, or limiting my mileage. But, they can wait.

For now is the time to celebrate the risen Lord with alleluias, the eucharist and yes, some chocolate. Happy Easter.

Risen Christ, Lord of life
Help us to roll away the stone of our selfishness and apathy
so that new life may arise
wherever love and hope are crucified
May we live out your Easter faith,
and bring the miracle of your resurrection to the world.

1 comment:

  1. Thankyou for this whole batch of thought-provoking snippets.
    I have found something in nearly all of them to make me stop and rethink some of my routine behaviours.
    The discipline of giving up something, anything really is good in itself and once we've proved we can do it for a few weeks, it becomes possible to envisage a less self- centred way of life.
    It has been for me, quite a wonderful Easter, now comes the hard bit.

    ReplyDelete