Tuesday 19 April 2011

Speaker

Diocesan computers down this morning so for the first time I am blogging on an iPhone! Today Christian Aid asks us to consider our political representatives. Who speaks for us? Well for a start that is difficult for me to answer as my MP happens to be the Speaker! A contradiction in terms when the Speaker is prevented from his own free speech because of his role. I could also question whether he is a representative as none of the main opposition parties put up candidates against the Speaker in the last election. So I am not sure whether the people of Buckingham really do have a voice.

Yet this all causes me to consider my own voice. Who do I speak on behalf of? That's an interesting question for an archdeacon. In a way we speak for the Church of England although it is difficult to do this. But, on formal occasions I do the legal stuff as part of the established church. I speak for the diocese as a member of the Bishop's staff team - I represent the diocese to churchwardens and when reviewing the work of clergy or making appointments. I also though represent the parishioners of Bucks, the churches and clergy, and when it comes to diocesan decisions, committees and General Synod I feel myself called to be an advocate for these groups of people. But more importantly of all I represent Christ, in the world, in my work, to those I meet. That is the most important call of all. That means making Christ known through the way I live my life and making Christ's concerns my own. That is why I am counting my blessings this Lent. To focus my life on the needs of others and highlight the plight of the poor and needy across our world.

I may not have someone speaking on my behalf in parliament so I am particularly challenged this holy week to reflect on my own voice and how I use it. How do you use yours?

No comments:

Post a Comment